Daily activities such as cooking, cleaning, and other household tasks can be difficult for young children who are not yet tall enough to reach the counter or sink. This is where a learning tower comes in – a safe and sturdy platform that allows children to stand at counter height and participate in activities with ease.
While you can purchase pre-made learning towers at My Happy Helpers, building your own can be a fun and rewarding project that can save you money. We will discuss everything you need to know about building your own learning tower, including materials, tools, and step-by-step instructions.
Before you start building your learning tower, you will need to gather materials. The materials you need will depend on the design you choose, but here are some general items you will likely need:
- 4 pieces of 2×2 wood
- 2 pieces of 1×3 wood
- 2 pieces of 1×4 wood
- 1 piece of 1×6 wood
- 1 piece of plywood
- Wood glue
- Paint or stain (optional)
- Measuring tape
- Cut the wood: Cut the 2×2 wood into four equal pieces to make the legs of the tower. Cut the 1×3 wood into two equal pieces to make the side supports. Cut the 1×4 wood into two equal pieces to make the front and back supports. Cut the 1×6 wood and plywood to the size of the platform.
- Assemble the legs: Take two of the 2×2 pieces and lay them parallel to each other. Then, take the other two 2×2 pieces and lay them perpendicular to the first two, creating a rectangle. Secure the corners with screws.
- Attach the side supports: Take one of the 1×3 pieces and attach it to the top of the rectangle with wood glue and screws. Repeat on the other side.
- Attach the front and back supports: Take one of the 1×4 pieces and attach it to the bottom of the rectangle, flush with the side supports. Repeat on the other side.
- Attach the platform: Attach the plywood to the top of the supports with wood glue and screws. Then, attach the 1×6 wood to the front and back of the platform to create a lip to prevent your child from falling out.
- Sand and paint/stain: Sand the tower to smooth any rough edges or surfaces. Then, you can paint or stain the tower to match your home decor.
Building your own learning tower can be a fun and rewarding project for parents. It provides a safe and sturdy platform for children to participate in daily activities and learn important life skills. So why not give it a try and see the joy it brings to your little ones.